Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Mustache Party

  Being over-obsessed with decoration, I couldn't just have a birthday party with a movie, pizza and cake.  I decided to go all out for my sweet-sixteen.  And what better way to do that, than with mustaches?  Yes.  Mustaches.  I created a little mustache wonderland.  By the time my friends left, they were throwing up mustaches.
Here's a cute little decoration I made with poster board.  I used the fan technique and created two different fans to hot glue them on top of each other.  To finish, I cut out a template of a mustache on google images, large enough to fit the fan.  I then hot glued twine onto the back so it would be easier to hang up.  Voila!  Something to fill empty space.


I found this idea at a party store.  You could buy these straws with the mustaches on them.  I thought, "Why buy them when I can make them?"  So I cut out some mustaches on black poster board, and used a hole punch where the straw would go.  Another touch I added were mason jars.  I got these from the dollar store!  It took a bit of hunting, but it was so worth it!


The next thing was the cake.  Believe it or not, this was incredibly easy.  And again, it was Red Velvet.  My absolute favorite.  So my mom made a great cake, it was a circular cake to begin with.  She had it double tiered.  What we did, is we cut it like a Yin-Yang sign.  A squiggle down the middle.  ~  Then we set them to face each other like a mustache.  We had to flip one side over to get both ends of the mustache to face out.  Topped with cream cheese frosting and hair-like sprinkles, it was a big hit!

 I made these babies with just regular kabob skewers.  I cut out different types of mustaches and used a glue gun to stick them on.
 Now I saw some people on Pinterest do photoshop with mustaches, lips, and other kinds of things like that.  The perfect activity for a partay!   I literally taped a bed sheet onto the wall.  I then created a garland out of more poster board, alternating colors with mustaches as well.
Oh how dapper. :{)

 What other game would be perfect than Pin the Mustache on the Mustache??
As an after thought for a bit more decor, I decided to make a simple little mustache garland.  I cut out about 10 mustaches on black poster board and paired each of them together.  I used fishing line, and double sided tape.  I put the tape on one mustache, then sandwiched the fishing line and put the second mustache on top.  I spaced each of them out by three inches or so.  

Another decoration I did was I decorated the water bottles and sodas with mustache duct tape.  You can get this at Walmart or Hobby Lobby!  

For party favors, I gave them lip balm wrapped with mustache duct tape in little bags that said "My Stache."  

The party was a big success!  We all felt so manly by the end, we wanted some whiskers ourselves!  


No comments:

Post a Comment